Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Silver Flash Wednesday: Untitled chapter five

Good morning everyone! We've finally made it across half the week and that means that it's Silver Flash Day!

There were some great prompts this week:

Guest Diva Lily Sawyer, gave us:
"This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation," Or "I wish I knew how to quit you." or "Love means never having to say you're sorry."

The alternate prompts were:
8 ball, trailer and use the name of any state in the US or pizzicato, pie and motor oil or "Your words are too big for your mouth"

I really liked the phrase "I wish I knew how to quit you", but I couldn't fit it into Damien and Amanda's story (Click here if you want to read old chapters) just yet, so I went instead with the ball, the trailer and the state.

Read on and don't forget to visit the other great Flasher's (links at the bottom).




Untitled Chapter 5


“Damian.”

“How are you doing, Amanda?” He nimbly stepped over her legs and settled himself in the empty seat by her side.

“I’m fine, thank you, but—“

“I’m so glad to see you; it’s been years, huh? I think the last time we saw each other was that day at that dirty trailer park in Massachusetts.” Damian watched Amanda’s cheeks fill with color and her eyes narrowed dangerously. “Oh no, not you, sorry. Last time I saw you it was a warm summer evening. You came over to scream at me and we almost kissed and—“

“Damian, I—“

Damian looked back and forth from her to the nerd boy seated in front. The guy was glaring at him in what he could only guess was his most menacing look. He frowned, trying to stop the laughter bubbling inside him to surface.

“Did I interrupt something?”

“Yes.”
“No.”

The couple stared at each other. Silent communication passed between them. With a shrug and a quick nod the boy stood and sauntered away, disappointment openly showing in his stance.

As soon as he was out of earshot Damian burst out laughing. A hard punch in the arm caused his laughter to double.

“Damian!” Amanda cried. She abruptly stood up and turned to face him. “Jerk.” She spun around to leave but he was quicker. His fingers wrapped around her wrist and he gasped. Amanda’s eyes widened and searched his face, seeking an answer to the intense current that had just swept between them.

“You know that’s the second time I feel that in less than a week?” he shrugged, trying to diminish the strange feeling. “Will you sit with me? I just want to talk for a bit.”

Damian watched Amanda’s face. Her expression was stony but her eyes were troubled. She glanced at his hand, still on her wrist. She bit her lower lip.

“Fine.”

Damian smiled in relief.

“Thanks.”

“What do you want to talk about?”

Damian glanced at her. Her eyes were narrowed, her tone of voice icy, but he still held her wrist and she had made no move to disengage herself from his hold.

“I want to apologize for before and for that day at my front lawn.” He averted his gaze. He was lying. He was not sorry for getting rid of the nerd and he was not sorry for almost kissing her that day in his lawn. Nonetheless, he hated himself for lying to her, but he sensed she wanted an apology and if that’s what it took to get her to stay a while longer next to him, he’d give it to her.

Amanda sighed and sat back against the cushions, disengaging herself from his grip.

“That’s all right. I’m actually thankful about Alex. He’s a nice guy, but,” she hesitated, clearly unsure on how much she should say.

“He can be a little too knowledgably at times?”

Amanda smiled. “Nicely put, but yeah, he can be a pain in the ass.”

“You don’t need a magic 8 ball to figure that one out.”

Damian grinned as Amanda laughed good-humouredly. She had such beautiful laughter, like the sound of tinkling bells. He sadly realized that during all their encounters he’d always done something to anger her hence her attitude towards him had always been to scowl or glare in animosity.

“I’m sorry for being such a jerk at times,” he blurted.

Amanda smiled. She tucked a lose strand of her chocolate colored hair behind an ear.

“That’s ok; I’ve never been particularly nice towards you, either.”

“Maybe we can start again? Forget those past chaotic encounters and stop being enemies for once and for all.”

“I guess we could.”

Damian grinned. He stuck out his hand. “Name’s Damian. Pleased to meet you.”

“Amanda.”



Silver Flash Authors

2 comments:

I adore comments! Don't be shy and tell me your thoughts.